- When was the last time you did something to care for yourself?
- Does question number one make you feel uncomfortable?
Luckily, question number one doesn’t make me feel uncomfortable anymore, as I made a conscious choice a few years ago to look after myself and to nurture my body and soul on a daily basis. My commitment to yoga and meditation for seven years this August has resulted in a higher state of consciousness in all areas of my life, and I notice that more and more often I make decisions from a place of awakening rather than logical arguments. I have learned to listen to my body, and the more you practise it, the better you become.
What does self-care look like for you?
But what does self-care mean? As the author of the Simple Year programme put it "You can’t care for yourself if you don’t know yourself.” She differentiates between universal and individual self-care. There are some basic needs we have to meet in order to function as humans. The basics are:
Align body, mind, and spirit
- Only when body, mind, and spirit are aligned can we start living consciously and be the best version of ourselves, which will also benefit everyone around us.
- You have to make the time to exercise and rest. You have to make it a priority and let go of something else. That ‘some day’ when you think you will have the time will never come.
- It takes 10,000 hours to mastery. No matter what you want to achieve, learn, or change in your life, you do you have to show up over and over again. Be consistent and persistent.